[NTLK] MadMax and >22kHz files, threading..

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 13:49:05 EST

   I installed three files on an external card (all 48kbps, no VBR,
32kHz), and found that Mad Max doesn't want to play files encoded over
22kHz. It just gave me the Neton logo screen and locked the machine (at
least the NewtonScript thread, the inker still worked) for about 2
minutes, then gave a little click on the speaker and stopped. I tried
freezing all packages except Mad and Ethernet, and it still did the
same. Then I downloaded one of the files again encoded at 32kHz and it
worked fine (as it had the day before).

   Technical oddities: I noticed was that if I selected a word and kept
it selected in one of the fields in MadMax, it interrupted the playback,
but if i started to write a word, and just kept then pen held down at
the end of a stroke, it didn't. Paul, any idea why the guesture would
interrupt the Newtonscript thread but not the writing (Does the writing
go directly to the inker thread and not get passed to the NS thread
until it's finished?) Also, what thread does C++ code run in? Would it
be possible to have it run preemptively with the NS thread, or to fork
off the Mad Max player itself (or at least the code that stuffs the
sound buffer) into a seperate NS thread?

Jim