Re: [NTLK] GPSmap maps (was [ANN] Holland maps)

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 05:57:06 EST

> I still have the sources. This particular map is not very large
(compressed
> sources 2.1 MB) but obviously other maps could be much larger. Is that too
> much for UNNA? If not, then I would suggest that we submit our maps to
UNNA
> rather than starting another repository of Newton stuff somewhere else.
This sounds very good. I would like to put the sources to UNNA too, even if
it is backed-up on a regular base. However, my UK map would need about 7MB
and the CH map about 16 MB, but already without the compiled package. With
pkg. its 30MB :-( but it has quite good resolution. Not down to street level
but showing the all biger roads in cities and villages.

I'm really interested in PICT maps and I would like to know who already made
or used such a beast with GPSmap. A few days ago I found an old version of
Adobe Streamline which is capable of transforming a pixel base picture into
a vector based picture which can be edited using Adobe Illustrator. In
theory GPSmap could display a vector map and it should be much smaller in
size, depending on the level of details. Going further it would be possible
to assign different levels of depth to different details of the map and show
more and more detailed information upon zooming into the map. I've seen such
a program one the Palm. It constructed a map with as much details as could
be displayed on the tiny 160x160 screen but showed more details on zooming
into a certain region. However, it was slow and you could watch how it
constructed the picture from single vectors. This programming technology
combined with Newton hardware would be a real bummer.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG