Re: [NTLK] [OT] The Good Old Days... (was eMates, 130s, 2100s, ...)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 10:40:41 EST

On 21/03/02 09:16, "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_comcast.net> wrote:

> at the temporal coordinates: 3/21/02 3:03 AM, the entity known as Sushi at
> Sushi_at_ragingbull.com conveyed the following:

>>> On 3/21/02 @ 12:32, Victor Rehorst wrote:
>>>
>>> Lucky kids. When I was in grade 7 and 8 I had a 386/25.
>>> And the old XT clone was kickin' around. And I think I
>>> still had the TRS-80 Model I plugged in "for nostalgia"
>>> before its monitor gave up the ghost.
>>
>> What computer. We don't need no stinkin computer! ;-)
>>
>> We had electronic typewriters -- does that count? :-o
>>
>> BTW, I was very happy to get a 4 function calculator with % and memory
>> when I was in the 8th grade. The 9 volt battery lasted about 20 minutes.
>> But it sure beat using a slide rule.
>>

> I was just gonna comment that y'all need to stop whining and get a slide
> rule! :-) Actually, I think they ought to still teach at least one course
> with a slide rule, not just how to use it, but why it works. There's
> fundamental math skills to be had there that just aren't taught nowadays.
>
> (I've thought about mounting my slide rule in a case that reads "In Case of
> Emergency, Break Glass")
>
> My dad got a Radio Shack 4-function calculator (with square root!!) for
> about $200 when I was in 8th grade. If you chop off an MP130 at the bottom
> of the screen, that's about the size of this thing, with "chiclet" buttons
> the size of my thumbnail. We got an electric typewriter the previous year.
>
> But hey, while we're dating ourselves, I remember watching Mercury launches
> on a BLACK & WHITE cabinet style TV and playing records (including 78's) on
> a HiFi. Ahhh, tubes! And the more leisurely pace of having to wait for
> your TV to "warm up".
>
> And all the stuff we're drooling over today will seem just as quaint in
> another 40 years or so...

Yep, calculator. I've got one for Sears for $10 at the time. I think I was
starting high school and this was the first calculator available to the
masses. I remember the picture in the catalog was totally different than
what I got. But, heh, it worked! 4 basic functions plus %.

I didn't see Mercury launches. I was way too young back then. But I remember
quite well when Neil Armstrong made the first historic steps...

And I still have over 200 vinyls, that I play on my Panasonic SL-220.

Yes, those were the days... Probably the same thing will be said in 20 years
or so, when some of us might be using the latest PDA generation and we will
dearly remember the first time we powered off our original MessagePad and
what was the first ever word that was successfully recognized...

-Laurent.

code monkey n.: 1. A person only capable of grinding out code, but unable to
perform the higher-primate tasks of software architecture, analysis, and
design. Mildly insulting. Often applied to the most junior people on a
programming team. 2. Anyone who writes code for a living; a programmer. 3. A
self-deprecating way of denying responsibility for a management decision, or
of complaining about having to live with such decisions. As in "Don't ask me
why we need to write a compiler in COBOL, I'm just a code monkey."