Re: [NTLK] [ANN] MAD Newton 0.6.1

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 13:59:48 EST

Simon Roberts wrote:
> I tested it with a 24 Kbps, 11 KHz stream, which previously didn't work and
> now works beautifully (http://audio.str3am.com:5050/). Of course, with such
> low bit and sample rates, it sounds pretty awful.

I still haven't gotten further on finally using the latest ARM C
compiler for getting more accuracy (actually, the compiler crashed
pretty hard under Virtual PC). But 64 bit multiplications would
definitely help here...

> Incidentally, my experience is that, with a good stream, Mad Newton can now
> provide uninterrupted listening pleasure for several hours on end. At my
> office, where I have a 2 Mbps connection with good backbone connectivity, 56
> Kbps streams often play with little or no drop outs. At home, where I have a
> 768/128 Kbps ASDL connection with not such good backbone connectivity
> (despite what Deutsche Telekom say!), 56 Kbps streams play but are often
> quite choppy. I guess increasing the amount of buffering might help. Any
> chance of that?

A small chance on an MP2100. They have enough internal memory to go to
maybe 1MB network buffers. An alternative would be a simple buffering
proxy server in between the Newton and the streaming server.

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --