[NTLK] Motorola StarTac, (was: Back to Newton)

From: eschneck_at_mindspring.com
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 11:10:47 EST

>>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Back to Newton, Ditched Palm/Pocket PC
>>From: Dave <dc623_at_mac.com>Date: 2002-03-25 4:00:58
>>on 3/24/02 11:31 AM, Bradford Schmidt at brad_at_bradfordschmidt.com wrote:
>> On 3/24/2002 at 10:13 AM Dave said:
>> 1. Anyone been able to use their Motorola StarTac ST7868W cell phone as
>> modem via the serial port?>
>> What cable are you using to connect to the StarTac? This is something I'd
>> like to be able to do as well.
>I have tried using a Mac Modem cable from my SE/30 and also the DIN-DB9 'PC'
>cable connecting through a series of 9-25 adapters, gender-benders, and also
>tried a null modem inline with the Motorola data cable. The best I have
>gotten is the ability to dial out through PT100 and get a connect string
>back but NIE seems **REALLY** persnickety about the modem and connect
>strings. The phone only says 'CONNECT' not the verbose 'CONNECT xxxxx' that
>NIE seems to want. Motorola says the commands are 'proprietary' and are
>unable to release them.
I have connected my Motorola TimePort P280 using a custom dial script in NIE settings. The script just sends ATDTmyphonen=
umber, waits for login, sends the userid, waits a second, and sends the password. You could probably do something similar=
 for your StarTac. I don't know what the setup string for the StarTac is, but if you find one on a Mac, PC or Linux site =
it is easy enough to copy the string to the NIE script.

Eric