Re: [NTLK] [OT] eMac Pricing...

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 00:44:16 EDT

At 9:01 PM -0700 4/30/02, Ed Kummel wrote:
>Actually, the Newton is a product that Apple has
>abandoned and could care less about (evidenced by the
>fact that the Newton Logo now seems to be public
>domain in that other companies are (were) using it!)
>And the Newton has grown way beyond what Apple ever
>intended it for, so it can barely be considered an
>"Apple" product except for the logo on the front (and
>my 2100 doesn't even have that!)

    Ed, you can rationalize all you want, but as much as you may
dislike it, the fact is Apple created it. Go ahead and take off all
of the logos if it makes you feel better, it's still an Apple product.

>My "bashing" you call it, is just a voice. You choose
>to accept it for what it is, as it is, or be
>smart...do your own research and make your own
>decisions. I've got 30 years in the industry (20
>activly involved)

    OK, so I'm a neophyte with only 28 years in the business. But
even a newbie like me at least tries and get the facts right. Your
rant about memory prices was way off base, and even if you had been
correct it just shows how much you don't know about running a
company. As an Apple shareholder, I like the 20-odd% profit margins.
If *you* want to put your own memory in, fine. Guess what, I do too.
But a school ordering 20 machines might not want to crack them all
open. Grandma might not want to break out the tool kit.

>The sheer fact that Apple
>could pull the plug out from the Newton industry, and
>the Mac Clone industry (injuring dozens of companies
>and causing millions in losses) is just the middle of
>a long string of lost causes that Apple has produced.

    One could easily argue that cutting out problem areas like the
Newton and clones is what turned the company around a few years ago.
And at least those steps kept Apple around, unlike a lot of PC
companies that no longer exist.

>Listen! The box is a commodity! I could care less what
>my data sits on! If I gotta pay 2 grand for a Mac unit
>or 1 grand for a "non-mac" unit, which will I choose!
>The one that works with the software I need!

    OK, so cost is your one and only consideration. Good thing for
Apple that everyone isn't like you. You probably buy Pabst Blue
Ribbon and drive a Pinto, too, fine that's your choice. Realize that
other people have other priorities. With computers in schools, cost
has to be balanced against ease of use and maintenance, and how long
the computer will be in service. Buying cheap crap is shortsighted,
as my son's school found out the hard way.

>Try
>getting PeachTree or QuickBooks to run on your latest
>Macs...I'm still running a copy of PeachTree on my
>latest quad P4 1.6Mhz server running .Net server...and
>guess what? It runs exactly the same way it did on my
>380-40 running windows 3.1...My Data is secure! And
>when my quad P4 1.6Mhz server is out of date in a year
>or so, heck, I only spent $2500 (ok, the 2gb RAM was
>additional as well as the 8 port serial card and the 4
>port ethernet port...but the total was under
>$3500!), so what do I care...I'll get another! Heck,
>the next bunch will probably be cheaper!

    Ed, I'm not even going to ask why you had to buy a $3500 computer
to run a piece of Win3.1 software. I'm just not going to go there.
But, I'm not sure what your point is, I've got plenty of really old
Mac software running fine on my machines. And under OS X, I run it
right alongside a terminal window running un*x stuff.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer
      System Support Products, Inc.