[NTLK] Mac OS X, IrDA, frustration

From: Michael 'Mickey' Sattler (michael_at_NOSPAM.GeekTimes.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 05:32:32 EDT

Since I haven't yet scored a KeySpan USB-to-Serial converter, I've
been playing around with installing packages to my UMP2K through
NetHopper (separate thread) and via IrDA.

It's not clear to me, from all the things I've read, that the 2x00s
and the PowerBook G3s use the same standard of communications through
IrDA.

I've been playing around with NewTen 1.1, but so far I haven't been
able to have the Newton notice the IrDA stream pouring from the back
of my G3 PowerBook (Firewire) under Mac OS X.

I would obviously like to prefer not to use Classic (and in fact
don't have any part of Mac OS 9.x on my machine), but since it seems
that this is a dead end, and that any PIM which can synchronize with
my baby hasn't been updated since the deployment of Mac OS X a year
ago, I may have to break down and install Classic.

Have I missed anything?

--
Michael "Mickey" Sattler, Geek Times   <mailto:michael_at_NOSPAM.GeekTimes.com>
San Francisco, California, USA    <http://www.GeekTimes.com/michael/>

I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there. -- Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)