Re: [NTLK] eMac, eMate, are we getting somewhere?

From: Chris Searles (csearles_at_netcologne.de)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 10:19:41 EDT

Hi Sushi,

>A few years ago, when I taught computer courses at the college level, I
>could get faculty discounts on hardware and software, which were about
>the same as student discounts for the most part. However, I could not
>get the same price as the institution if they were going to buy.
>
>Wouldn't going to the computer center only get me the faculty/student
>discount and not the institution discount?

Maybe your're right. What I meant was instead of just providing a copy of
a student ID saying that you (or your nephew) study at that university,
you get the computer center to confirm that the order is part of a
package of computers they've agreed to buy from Apple, i.e. you're not
buying as an individual but as a member of that institution placing a
larger order for Apple computers. Then any student at the university
could place their order within a certain specified period of time through
the computer center. (Would of course require making the offer known on
campus. Maybe an ad in the student newspaper or some posters in the
student union would suffice.)

I know it's a long shot, but I thought it might be worth a try in order
to save a few bucks... At any rate, I'd be curious to know if your
computer center could arrange such a deal with Apple.

Chris