Re: [NTLK] eMac, eMate, are we getting somewhere?

From: Joost van de Griek (gyorpb_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 15:30:41 EDT

On 2002-04-30 19:32, "John Goggan" <jgoggan_at_dcg.com> wrote:

> In fact, I'd find it hard to recommend myself. I mean, regardless of how
> cool/awesome/whatever someone might think some current Mac is, I'm not sure
> I'd recommend a large body of students grow up using them at school. It just
> isn't likely to be what they will be using later...

That's an oft-used argument in this particular debate, and, quite frankly,
it's a load of nonsense.

The same argument was used when I was in school to promote the use of MS-DOS
4.0 on 80286 PCs, along with WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3. After all, that
would be what we'd be using when we came out of school into the real world,
right?

Wrong.

However, it did teach us basic skills in using computers, text processing
and spreadsheets. And those skills still apply to today's environment. But
that would still hold true if we had used Mac OS or UNIX machines.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
Joost van de Griek