[NTLK] Flaky MP2000 mod

From: charles mangin (newton_at_option8.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 22:04:43 EDT

my long languishing newton modification is coming along - a white
seamless case with nice rounded corners, hopefully reminiscent of an
iPod (or the iWalk video that actually inspired me to do it...) - but
i've come across a puzzling problem.

it comes in the crucial reassembly stage, whilst putting the whole
thing back together again. i've got all the guts put back into the
front half of the case with only a few leftover parts - seriously, i
can't figure out where these screws go.. and there's this metal piece
that looks like a heatsink or something...

anyhow, with the back cover off, i plug everything in, put the
battery in place, and viola! it still works. powers up like a charm,
backlight still glows and hums. i put the back cover on and *blink*
it dies.

it comes back up for a second or three, then dies again. the cycle
continues until i remove the power entirely. i tried it with AC
power, so it's not the battery contacts - the first thing i tried.
case off, works fine. case on, power cycling.

i've fiddled all the various wires and jiggled all the connections. i
press on the case in all the places i think the back of the case
presses. my suspicion is it's the switch housing, or one of the
various flimsy wires sitting on top of the circuit board that are
shorting or coming loose with pressure in the right place.

this is my first lengthy foray into the guts of Oliver Cromwell (my
newton messagepad 2000) so i'm turning to the experts on this list.
any suggestions as to where to look to explain the above behavior,
(or where that little metal piece goes...) from someone who has been
inside an MP2k before would be greatly appreciated.

oh, and once i get everything working and finish the paint (masking
is going to be a pain...) i'll post pictures on my website, in case
anyone is interested.

--

charles mangin | globetrotting Newton user newton_at_option8.com | http://www.newtontraveler.com