Re: [NTLK] Sync Apps

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 12:33:17 EDT

On 03/05/02 12:02, "Smith, Bradley" <bradley.smith_at_artisansw.com> wrote:

> Sorry. I meant to say several hundred pounds, NOT sever hundresd.

Yes, the price is now up at $500 USD if you pre-order, or $600 USD after
version 8 is released. I used to be a MetroWerk customer, but I jumped ship
shortly after they were bought by Motorola because they were hiking their
prices year after year. It used to be $299 to renew, $399 to buy it new. It
has almost doubled since 2 or 3 years. I'm really outraged, but since I can
now program my Mac with old ProjectBuilder/InterfaceBuilder, I'm a very
happy camper!

The problem I see with Metrowerk is that they have to invent a lot of gizmos
and all kind of kludges to use an (IMHO) inferior language (C++), in order
to be able to offer the programmer a decent way of writing apps painlessly.
When using Objective-C, you gain a great dynamic runtime and have frameworks
that have been refined for years (10-12). So, you can concentrate on what
your app is doing instead of concentrating on how you will do it...

-Laurent.