[NTLK] Alkalines work, NiMH doesn't, original NiCad doesn't...

From: Michael 'Mickey' Sattler (michael_at_GeekTimes.com)
Date: Sun May 05 2002 - 05:07:27 EDT

At 09:51 +0200 5/5/02, Robert Benschop wrote:

>If you have power problems with your Newt definitely don't try to solve them
>with externally-charged NiMH cells

You are right. As per the gentle cajoling on this list I tried
alkaline cells today, and there's nothing wrong with my Newton's
battery contacts, it's the juice coming from the externally-charged
NiMH cells and the original NiCad pack (which I'm presuming is no
longer holding a charge; I haven't gotten out my multimeter yet).

>but try with the (original) adapter first.

Huh? The original adapter will do what viz-a-viz NiMH cells (or did I
mis-parse the sentence)?

>BTW, there is an application around that will 'tell' your Newt that you're
>using externally-charged cells, it's called Nick's SoftCharge...

Thanks. Let me get to reading the docs. I refuse to keep buying and
tossing alkalines, so I'll have to do some software or hardware magic.

My goal might be to put 1650 mAh NiMH cells into the original battery
case, as I've seen mentioned around. I mean, if the original NiCads
are all used up, then I don't have much to lose, right?

Michael "Mickey" Sattler, Geek Times   <mailto:michael_at_GeekTimes.com>
San Francisco, California, USA    <http://www.GeekTimes.com/michael/>

I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there. -- Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)