[NTLK] Help: WaveLan to Network to AppleTalk

From: NewtonTalk (NewtonTalk_at_jonandnic.2y.net)
Date: Sun May 05 2002 - 09:28:00 EDT

Well, I finally broke down and got a WaveLan card for my Newt. After some
frustration with Alpha 2, I downloaded the Alpha 3 drivers and got online
with NewtScape. That was pretty wild. Unfortunately, it wasn't long before I
wanted to do other things.

#1 - I can't seem to connect to NCU over AppleTalk. I have checked "use this
card for AppleTalk" on the Newt. I have enabled AppleTalk on the Mac, and
AppleTalk only in NCU. My problem my lie in the fact that Windows 2000
server seeds my AppleTalk network. My Mac's (a 9500 running 9.2 and
BasiliskII on 7.5.3) can use the AppleTalk network wonderfully. There's a
zone created called "Apartment", and I even have my HP DeskJet shared as a
LaserWriter that they can both print to! But, my Newt can't find anything:
no NCU, no printers over AppleTalk :(
I'm using a Linksys WAP that works perfectly, both with my Newt and my
laptop... Is it possible that that is trimming off the AppleTalk protocol
somehow? I've never tried to connect another Mac over WLAN (except
Basilisk).
Has anyone tried this before? Anyone else have any sort of success
connecting over AppleTalk with WLAN -- regardless of network architecture,
I'd love to hear your experiences.

#2 - Various problems with e-mail using SimpleMail. If anyone has an
experience setting up POP accounts on MS Exchange 5.5/connecting to Exchange
5.5 POP accounts with a Newt, tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan Wise
www.jonandnic.com