Re: [NTLK] ethernet, basilisk, ndps

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 00:34:40 EDT

When I installed Basalisk on my machine, I also got a
full Mac OS as a disk image that Basilisk can read
directly. This image has everything you need to
connect to your Newt. It's big (39mb) but worth it in
the long run because it minimizes the amount of work
Windows people need to do in a foreign Mac
environment! I can't remember where I got it, but it
was one of the regulars (one of the NTLK-Elders) Let
me know if you want it and I'll put it up on one of my
servers to let you get it.

Now, as to seeing your internal IP on an external
network. hmmm, that depends on a number of things.
Does your IP begin with a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or a
198.168.xxx.xxx or a 172.16.xxx.xxx? Or is it
something else. The IPs I gave you are non-routable
IPs used for internal networks. If you have one of
these IPs, then you might be able to be seen on the
outside. If you have a regular IP, then you probably
cannot. The reason being is that the college is
probably firewalling you and while it allows incoming
traffic that originated from you, it will not allow
non-originating traffic to route to you...(you can try
another port...8080 is popular, and so is 81...) If
you have a non-routable IP, you can attempt to set up
a proxy that will route traffic through to you.
Unfortunatly, this proxy will have to sit on the
internal network somewhere and have an external
connection to the internet (usually using two network
cards and some kind of bridging software...but there
are other proxy applications out there.) But more than
likely, you will not be able to have your Newt seen
outside your internal network...You are probably
locked down tight!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- scOtty teCHnoir <ticknor_at_punkass.com> wrote:
> Ok a couple o questions here:
>
> I picked up a 3com card yesterday, works just dandy
> with the Newt and I
> am online and happy.
> I want to be able to do backups with NCU via
> Ethernet. As per the
> archives, this is not possible with windoze NCU.
> So I have basilisk running OS8.1. I tried to
> download Mac NCU from unna,
> but I am getting 'corrupt' disk images. I finally
> found an old version
> of shrinkwrap and managed to get disks 2 and 3 into
> the proper format,
> but disk 1 will not download properly in iCab. If I
> click on it
> directly, it opens into a page with just garbled
> text. If I right-click
> and select link>download it downloads but the file
> is unusable by
> shrinkwrap [corrupt file, error -39 or something] am
> I missing an
> important element here?
>
> Also, I installed NDPS. Very cool, it worked right
> away. However, only
> people on my college network can connect to my
> [private] IP. Is there a
> way to 'mirror' my IP to a more public location?
>
> Thanks for reading
> >>scOtty teCHnoir

=====
- Arthur C. Clarke -