[NTLK] Using NiMH; building new supply (was: battery reconditioning)

From: Michael 'Mickey' Sattler (michael_at_GeekTimes.com)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 16:40:52 EDT

> > I also have the original battery cage. If I buy four NiMH batteries,
>> charge them in an external charger, and put them in the cage, will
> > this work...
>
>This is what I do and it works fine.

Interesting. This *doesn't* work for me. The juice supplied by the
Radio Shack brand of NiMH fails to run the Newton, wheras alkaline
cells do work. These NiMH work just fine in my kid's toys, though.
Wierd.

I've found several 1800+ mAh NiMH cells on the 'net, but none which
have the solder tabs (to make putting them into the built-in case
easier). If I find a source I'll let everyone know. For those of you
who did it, did you use cells with the solder tabs (as the
instructions on the 'net say) or did you solder things on yourself.
(I ask because I believe heat is the fastest way to kill NiMH cells.)

Michael "Mickey" Sattler, Geek Times   <mailto:michael_at_GeekTimes.com>
San Francisco, California, USA    <http://www.GeekTimes.com/michael/>

I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there. -- Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)