Re: [NTLK] Newton back at Apple in OS X!!!!

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 23:46:41 EDT

All ...

Every time, I hear 'server', I shudder. Although MacOS X is UNIX based
and should do well as a server OS, Apple has botched that up missing
documentation - lots of it ;-). I'm doing database development for a
living and have installed PostgreSQL on a number of different machines -
including my MacOS X boxes. On all machines except the Macs, I can set
shared memory to what ever I feel like, which is important for
performance and client/server communications. Under MacOS X, I can't get
more than 4 MB which makes running any serious stuff impossible.
Sorry to say, but a rack mounted box doesn't make it a server, I can
also mount my old Z80 in a rack - oh hang on - I did that already, back
in 1982, but that still doesn't make it anything else but a 4 Mhz Z80
single user machine. A 1 Ghz G4 is still just that, no matter where it's
mounted - and the OS is still the same, so, why should I get excited?
Now a new Newton on the other hand - but I don't get my hopes up here.

Kind regards,
Chris

On Tuesday, May 7, 2002, at 11:26 , aaron tester wrote:

> apple and the rack-mount server - hmmm: wonders how styled this will
> be +
> smiles that apple is moving into some new (old) territory.
>

>> But Jobs did hint at a product announcement to come. On May 14, Apple
>> plans on introduce a rack-mount server.
>
>>> For those looking to put this into context, take a peek at
>>> MacCentral's
>>> coverage of Steve Jobs' WWDC keynote:
>>>
>>> http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/06.wwdckeynote.php
>

> --

Chris Ruprecht
1505 Fort Clark Boulevard #1-205 * Gainesville, FL 32606
E-mail: chrup_at_earthlink.net