Re: [NTLK] My New 2100!

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 23:44:47 EDT

on 11/05/02 21:41, Stephen Swift (aka Burnum) at burnum_at_mac.com wrote:

> At 5/11/02 8:13 PM, Michael J. Hu=DFmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de) Wrote:
>
>>> Oh. A blank backdrop. <sarcasm>How useful.</sarcasm> So I can trash i=
> t?
>> =20
>> This is really quite useful if you want to save as much heap space (worki=
> ng
>> memory) as possible. Remember that the backdrop is always open, so any he=
> ap
>> memory claimed by the backdrop app is unavailable for other apps.
>
> Oh I see. Hmm. How much is normally available on a 2100... Like 1 MB? An=
> how much does a program like Notepad take up? Thanks

Depends highly on the application. Most applications will consume a few Ks,
30 to 40 KB.

-Laurent.

dangling pointer n.: [common] A reference that doesn't actually lead anywhere (in C and some other languages, a pointer that doesn't actually point at anything valid). Usually this happens because it formerly pointed to something that has moved or disappeared. Used as jargon in a generalization of its techspeak meaning; for example, a local phone number for a person who has since moved to the other coast is a dangling pointer. Compare dead link.