Re: [NTLK] Thank you for Backdrop Builder!!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 14:06:10 EDT

On 13/05/02 11:56, "Robert Benschop" <rbenschop_at_mac.com> wrote:

> on 13-05-2002 5:27, Laurent Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com
> wrote:
>
>>> So the PowerPen backdrop builder project is still to come ?
>> Yep. I first want to see if I could host it myself. If not, then I'll have
>> some talks with other people. If anybody with a high disponibility server
>> wants to talk with me, you're welcome to do so. If we can have it on 2 or 3
>> servers, I think that this would be better. I still haven't gone over the
>> entire package though, so there are still some kinks to work out...
>
> So it can only work over the internet ?
>
> Don't have a T1 myself, otherwise I would dedicate some space right away,
> maybe somewhere in the not-so-far-away future though...

T1 line (I have cable but I'm not sure that this would cut it) and the
ability of running CGI scripts, I think. Again, I didn't go over what's
needed yet, so I can't say for sure. Once I am running OS X on my B&W G4,
which I can't do at this time, then I'll give it more thought.

-Laurent.

gang bang n.: The use of large numbers of loosely coupled programmers in an
attempt to wedge a great many features into a product in a short time.
Though there have been memorable gang bangs (e.g., that over-the-weekend
assembler port mentioned in Steven Levy's "Hackers"), and large numbers of
loosely-coupled programmers operating in bazaar mode can do very useful work
when they're not on a deadline, most are perpetrated by large companies
trying to meet unrealistic deadlines; the inevitable result is enormous
buggy masses of code entirely lacking in orthogonality. When market-driven
managers make a list of all the features the competition has and assign one
programmer to implement each, the probability of maintaining a coherent (or
even functional) design goes to epsilon. See also firefighting, Mongolian
Hordes technique, Conway's Law.