Re: [NTLK] Thinking of Switching

From: Michael 'Mickey' Sattler (michael_at_GeekTimes.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 00:23:09 EDT

I didn't want to jump into the fray, but now that you've made a
decision I'd like to second it. You've got company.

At 22:54 -0500 5/14/2002, Ermin Mistica wrote:

>[Elided] I bought my MP 2100 when it was just barely
>axed by Apple. So to see people buying them like hotcakes off of eBay for
>$200 a pop when I got mine for a $1000 each...

This is exactly where I was. Had a clear 110 (and used it to write
much of my book while overseas (after a power spike killed my
PowerBook)), a 130 (pretty much never used :-), and a MP2K. Upgraded
it, Apple killed Newton, and there I was.

Over the years I've been forced to use other devices for clients, so
I have a drawer of Palms. The Newton got dusty, but was still
beloved. Recently I dusted it off, started it up, and was pleasantly
surprised to see that with the exception of the size, 1997 was a
pretty good year for technology. Then I visited eBay to add a backup
unit. Maybe I'll add a third someday, just for fun, should the price
drop even more.

>In short, have you guys lost me? No. I=92m staying.

Glad to hear it.

I can't speak for others, but I'm getting re-energized about Newton.
I'm in the process of *slowly* building a development environment and
diving in to build some things I always wanted on my Newton. Then
perhaps I'll dive into the Mac OS X <-> Newton issues. It's a fun
time to be hacking code.

Be well.

Michael "Mickey" Sattler, Geek Times   <mailto:michael_at_GeekTimes.com>
San Francisco, California, USA    <http://www.GeekTimes.com/michael/>

I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there. -- Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)