Re: [NTLK] isun portable solar charger

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 15:09:54 EDT

Reading the specs on this device, I can't see how this
can power the Newt...If the Newt uses a 7W ~7V
adapter, the iSun only puts out 2.2W at 7.6V. I would
think at most you would get some battery charging at
extremly slow speeds! If the 9W can charge the
batteries in 90- minutes, then figure the 2.2W would
charge the batterys in about 6 hours. And for $80,
it's a little steep! Here you can get a 12v charger
for $30! http://www.heartlandamerica.com/se/9973.html#
Sure, you'll need to do some voltage regulation, but 3
bucks for an adjustable voltage regulator and some
incidental parts brings you to within spec for the
Newt! With a higher amperage and wattage to boot! (you
should add current regulators as well)
The only downside is that this solution doesn't look
so neat...and it's only 1.5 watts max output (but for
$30, you could get 3 for the same price! for 4.5 watts
output!)
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new