Re: [NTLK] What would have happene.

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 04:15:54 EDT

------------------
>I believe that the Newton-platform woul'd have died sooner or later.

All platforms die, sooner or later.
Hard to figure when there were so many unfilled orders.
----------------
>Why did Palm became such a huge succes? Simply because of it's size!

50% size. 50% PRICE. The Palm cost so little because it did so little.
----------------
>Even IF Newton's HWR would have been as good as it where marketed, people =
wouldn't have bought them because you "can not carry them in your =
shirt-pocket".

That 'size-reason' accounts for less than 33% of sales. Look at all the =
ebay-Newts. from some big corporations. Alot of Palms and iPaq's are sold =
to corps. due to attractive price points. Sony sold alot of the =
super-slim VAIO's, but the cost of the laptop and 'necessary add-on's kept =
it from taking over the market.
-----------------
> From my own working experience I know that IT decisions are being taken
>like this: We have a certain problem, we have MS-SW in house, so to solve
>the problem we will stick to MS in any case. I do not want to bash MS-SW,

More like: We spent how much to use this SW??? You better keep it up and =
running.
-----------------
>The one size (Newton-size) which actually would be usefull will not be
>bought because it's to big to be carried in their pocket!

Get a bag. They're sold everywhere.
----------------
>I always have my knapsack with me (No, not an ugly one, but a nice and =
above all praktical red one) where I carry all kind of things in, for one =
my Newton, wallet, cell-phone, magzines. And it's not
>that heavy altogether.)

Yup, so size is a preference.
----------------
>I firmly believe that Steven Jobs was quite aware of this when the =
decision
>was made to cut of the Newton platform. I am absolutley sure that SJ is
>professional enough to make his decisions based on ratio, not emotion.
>
>Sasa

I firmly believe that Steven Jobs was quite UNAWARE of this when the =
decision
was made to cut of the Newton platform. I am absolutley sure that SJ is =
NOT professional enough to make his decisions based on ratio, not emotion.

!ooW %-)
Pres. of Los Angeles Newton Users Group!