Re: [NTLK] [OT] apple does server

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 22:37:43 EDT

On Thursday, May 16, 2002, at 08:25 , William R. Dickson wrote:

> Oracle for Mac OS X Server was announced along with the Xserve.

I did not know that and have not seen that on the Apple site, but then,
I only looked at the hardware specs.

> As it happens, my company specializes in Mac-based web and database
> hosting, and we're quite looking forward to putting ten servers in the
> space that can currently hold only two.

We have a few IBM e-servers at the office, they are not much bigger
(2.5"? 3"?) and pretty fast little guys. I don't know the specs on them,
but you can check them on IBMs web site.

On the subject of IBM: They are now using what they call Power3 and
Power4 processors in their AIX boxes, any idea where that compares in
the G3/G4 range? They sound pretty impressive ...

Chris Ruprecht
1505 Fort Clark Boulevard #1-205 * Gainesville, FL 32606
E-mail: chrup_at_earthlink.net