Re: [NTLK] What would have happened to PDA market if Apple had wa ited?

From: Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 15:34:25 EDT

On Friday, May 17, 2002, at 08:50 AM, John Ruschmeyer wrote:
> I tend to agree, but it still leaves the questions like why pull
> back/kill
> Newton, Inc? And why not license the technology to one of the offerers
> at
> the time? Clearly, there was more than money in this decision.

Because leaving it out there as a separate company meant it would
compete wth the
PowerBook, and keep engineers he wanted for iBook, Mac OS, etc. tied up
in products that were going nowhere fast. Licensing, too, would have
cost Apple money, meant competition for the PowerBook, and been nearly
impossible because the engineers who really understood Newton OS had
either left the company, or were needed by Steve for other projects. If
Apple sold or licensed Newton technology, the engineers would've had to
go with it.

sj

http://homepage.mac.com/stevehj