Re: [NTLK] Where can I find info about web browsers?

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 17:04:36 EDT

> From: "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
>
> On 17/05/02 10:40, "Camillus Guhl" <cam_at_guhl.net> wrote:
>
>> Nethopper is faster than Newt's Cape, but: Does not read JPG and does not
>> work
>> with all websites (especially not with (domain) name based hosting).
>
> I believe that if you register Newtscape, you have access to a JPG plugin
> that will work for any application. Correct me if I'm wrong, Steve?

yes, there's a JPEG plugin available to registered users. once installed, it
could be used by other apps to convert/display JPEGs (is that what you mean
"work for any application").

=====

> From: Joe Anthenat <janthenat_at_mac.com>

> I recently installed LunaSuite just to play with the browser. I must say, I
> prefer the display method of LunaSuite over Newtscape... sorry...

no offense taken. (different people prefer different u.i./features)

>Unless
> I'm doing something wrong, Newtscape will only display in a small window,
> where as Luna will use the entire screen and optionally cover the button bar
> for true full screen display. And, seriously, if the display preferences
> for Newtscape can be changed, please let me know...

you can set the Page Size until i/ General prefs generally you should avoid
the Full setting unless you're on MP2100 or not connected to NIE (closing a
full book window on MP2K or eMate with NIE connected will tickle some system
memory management problems which leads to slow motion or crash).

=====

> From: "victor_at_newtontalk.net" <victor_at_newtontalk.net>

> Newt's Cape 2.1
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> -Still supported
> -Supports animated GIFs, JPEGs via plugin, no PNGs
> -Renders pages by patching Newton's internal book reader
> -Can install packages from web
> -Has plugins for many different things: viewing PalmDOC books, Waba applets in
> web pages, audio files via InBox/SimpleMail Audio Decoder/MODPlayer
> -Can execute NewtonScript in web pages
> -Runs under 2.0 or 2.1, older version for 1.x
> -Has bookmark manager with scheduling support
> -Can save pages to Notes, Works, In/Out box, standalone package
> -Is HTTP 1.1 compliant

good summary. though Newt's Cape has a few HTTP 1.1 features,
it isn't completely 1.1 compliant.

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com