Re: [NTLK] Transferring my Newton data to Palm

From: Greg Spencer (gspencer_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat May 18 2002 - 08:13:27 EDT

Here's a previous message on this subject that I saved. It covers the
reverse (Palm =>Newton) but should work in reverse.

Greg

=====================

=
>sync a newton with palm desktop? I didn't save the info there when I read
i=
t.
>:-(
>
>I've been using a palm for several years and want to port my data to my
new=
ly
>acquired 2100. Hopefully, it's possible to sync both ways, so I can still
u=
se
>the palm when I need something small and light.
>
>Any help?
>
>thanks,
>-Hal

Here it is:

How to sync a Newton with Palm Desktop
By Wally, posted Saturday, July 28 @ 07:21:15 CDT
This document is intended for those who are new to Newton, and want to
learn how to synchronize their Newton with Macintosh Palm Desktop. It is a
step-by-step process that guarantees productivity, unless something is not
working properly.

Here is a list of items you will need:
A working Newton.
Macintosh Computer.
Bag of David Sunflower Seeds (optional).
8 pin mini din serial cable (printer cable).
Serial to USB adapter (if you don=B9t have the old type serial connector on
your Macintosh). I used the Belkin brand.
Newton Connection Utilities (hereafter referred to as NCU).

Here is a list of manuals of interest:
1. Apple Message Pad Handbook
ftp://manuals.info.apple.com//Apple_Support_Area/
Manuals/newton/0308951ANAPLMPHNDBK.PDF
with its update:
ftp://manuals.info.apple.com//Apple_Support_Area/
Manuals/newton/0308508AILATEBKGINFO.PDF
2. Newton OS2 (the operating system of the Newton device):
ftp://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/
Manuals/newton/0307843ANOS2FTURS.PDF
3. You may also want to read the documentation about cables:
ftp://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/
Manuals/newton/0308266ANCBLS.PDF

Step 1 =AD Getting and Installing the Software

You can download NCU from here:
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/
connection_utils/ForMac/NewtonConnectionUtilities/
I had to right [or control] click on the link called "NCU 1.0 Installer For
Mac" that this page provides and choose "download link to disk"."

You can download the Palm Desktop (formerly Claris Organizer) from here:
http://www.palm.com/support/macintosh/

Install both software packages, unless of course you are already using Palm
Desktop for a Personal Information Program (PIM), in which case, you are
one step ahead of the game here.

Step 2 =AD Preparing Your Palm Desktop

If you have not used Palm Desktop prior to this, then you can skip this
step and move on to step 3.

This step is for users who already use Palm Desktop. This is a crucial step
in the process if you want to import your existing Palm Desktop database
into your Newton.

What you need to do is called a Merge, and you do it from within Palm
Desktop. Open your Palm Desktop, and select "Merge" from the "File" menu.
In the next box that appears you will have to navigate your way to the
"Newton Connection Utilities/IntelliLink/Organizer2.0 file. Select the
"Organizer 2.0" file and choose "Open." Palm Desktop will then tell you how
many items were merged. Quit the Palm Desktop.

To find out more about Merge, you can look it up in the Help file of Palm
Desktop. In a nutshell, it allows you to maintain two separate user data
files containing the same information.

Step 3 =AD Preparing Your NCU

Open your NCU program. It will open and you will notice that most options
are all grayed out. This is normal. Select "Preferences" from the "Edit"
menu. In the Preferences box, select the port that the Newton will be
connected to, and select "OK."

Step 4 =AD Making the Connection

Connect the Newton to the Macintosh.
Turn on the Newton.
Tap the "Extras" button on the Newton. A tab looking divider comes up on
the Newton screen, and in the tab should be the words "All Icons." If
anything else is written in that tab, then tap on it, and select "All
Icons" from the list that appears.
On the Newton, tap on the "Connection" icon.
Ensure that it says "Connect via Serial" in the next slip that appears. If
not, tap on it and select it from the list.
On the Newton, tap on the "connect" button. A status bar will appear on the
screen, showing its attempt to connect with the Macintosh. Once the
connection is made, you will see the NCU program "come to life."
On the Macintosh, hit the "Synchronize" button in the NCU window. That will
open up the next window, where you will select what modules on the Newton
will synchronize with what PIM on your desktop. Select each of the four
modules (names, dates, notes, and to do), choosing the Organizer 2.0 file
contained within your Newton Connection Utilities/IntelliLink folder as the
data file to be synchronized with. When you are finished with all four
modules, select "OK" and your Newton will synchronize itself with your Palm
Desktop.

If you did not already use the Palm Desktop software prior to this, then I
suggest you double click on the Organizer 2.0 file, and when it asks you
which program to open it with, choose the Palm Desktop. After that, when
you use Palm Desktop, it will automatically use that file for your data
file.

That is all there is to it. Now, you can add/update items in your Newton or
Palm Desktop, and when you hit the synchronize button, the other will be
updated also.

Many thanks go out to Paul Guyot for his patience in guiding me through my
Newton quest, and for providing most of the links in this document.

=2E-.-.-.

Does anybody have the PDF version of this manual?

--
Till
-> http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/till <-