Re: [NTLK] Nushield and glare - 3M polymers

From: Mark Ross (markr13_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun May 26 2002 - 11:23:59 EDT

> I was just thinking about an article I read some months ago in the
>science section of BusinessWeek saying that some company (3M I think)
>had come up with a way to cheaply produce thin films that could be made
>to selectively block or reflect specifica wavelengths of light. Several
>uses they proposed were as an addition to fabrics ("Honny, you look
>absolutely *radiant* in that dress. And you hair..") and as a coating
>for car-window glass that would selectively pass infrared rays out of
>the car (or maybe it was block infrared from coming in - I always
>throught that materials absorbed normal light wavelengths and then
>reflected longer infrared ones as heat)
>
> Anyway, I wonder if this kind of tech could be used to make a better
>anti-glare shield (or perhaps underneath the LCD to selectively absorb
>those wavelengths that make it through the "black" state of the LCD
>best). Anybody know anyone at 3M?

The problem is that glare is not the result of specific wavelengths of
light, but a direct reflection of light off a smooth, shiny surface. The
reflected light tends to be somewhat polarized as well. As long as they
are in the visible range, you will get glare. The only way to minimize
this is to block them with polarizers (sunglasses) except this will also
block the screen data, or by scattering the light somewhat to minimize
the direct impact of the reflected light on your eyes.

BTW- "cheaply produced" is a relative term. And I wouldn't like to find
out what a minimum film order from 3M would be! I have enough trouble now
meeting minimums from the "small fry".

Mark Ross
markr13_at_comcast.net

NuShields: Your best defense against screen damage
http://www.NuShield.com

Phone/Fax/Voicemail: (530) 678-5513