Re: [NTLK] I'm so bummed... upper PC card slot blues

From: Bernie A. Goltermann (bagoltermann_at_ksaits.com)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 01:05:10 EDT

> If you have a backup on your Newt's internal store, you might want to
>try a brain wipe. Do this without any cards in the Newt and then see if it
>will recognize a card in the upper slot.

I was afraid someone would suggest this. I do have a resent backup so I
guess I try it. The only time I can remember doing a brain wipe was with
my 130. I have confirmed that that I can still use my cards in the
lower slot (Ehternet, modem.) I haven't tried to use the "new-used"
Pretec card with which I'm now leery of now. I guess nobody out there
has had any similar experience with a PC card blowing their card slot.

> You might also want to take a flashlight and look into the slot to see
>if any of the pins are bent. If a card didn't go in straight it could have
>damaged the pins.

I already compared the two slot's pins, it's not easy to see in there
but the pins look fine. It looks like there are some longer pins on the
ends of the connector, hard to tell from looking down through the slots.
 I would guess this makes sense for grounding purposes you want to
ground the card before connecting up all the other pins.

Thanks for responding.

Bernie

--
"We no longer view Apple as in a battle for PC market share -- instead we see the platform becoming a premium PC, capturing selective PC demand."   May 20, 2002 UBS Warburg analyst Don Young