Re: [NTLK] Newt Stolen; Looking for advice on a replacement.

From: victor_at_newtontalk.net
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 13:06:04 EDT

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Ross kuehne rossk_at_IBS-PUBLIC-SERVICES.CO.UK
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 17:15:57 +0100
Subject: [NTLK] Newt Stolen; Looking for advice on a replacement.

>I'm a Long-time list lurker, (back to the days of Sean O'Sullivan) but very
>infrequent contributor. (Though it's still one of my favourite lists to
>read; on or off topic. How else would I know such things about Furbys, or
>international soft-drink preferences?)

Or sketchy political views, or blues songs about broken PC Card slots...

If anyone wants to sift through the archives and pull out the "cool" threads
for a "Best Of Newtontalk" page, be my guest. Or just remind me of the
subjects and I'll do it myself.

>I still can't decided whether to be really angry about this (which,
>surprise, I am) or begrudgingly impressed that the chap passed up all of my
>Palm stuff, a PowerBook etc, and went straight after all of the Newton Stuff
>as he/they rifled through my house. I will say that the amount of stuff

Well, to make a joke, looks like the thief was a computer conniasseur :), or
thought he could get more money for a "Mac".

>he/they were believed to have gone through the place, is truly amazing. The
>Thames Valley police informed me that there was virtually no chance that
>this will be recovered, and that the first thing that most thieves do is to
>wipe them clean of info for resale, so they can't be traced. (IF they know
>how to do this on a Newt) But at this point, I'm more concerned about
>missing hardware than a 'security breach', per se.

You can always check the classified ads, local newsgroups, pawn shops and the
like to see if it turns up there. You did write down your serial number,
right?

>However, since I have to replace my stuff, it got me thinking about some of
>the hardware hacks that I seem to recall having read about on the list in
>the past. I seem to recall that there is one hack (SER001?) that will
>replace the dongle port with a standard serial port (sounds nifty) and
>another that will replace/supplement the crystals that govern processor
>speed, yielding a Newton a'la steroids. (Rosetta meets Charles Atlas).
>(Also, is this switchable? If so, how?)

The SER-001 is sold by David Humphries. Web page:
http://members.tripod.com/mrpcbman/SER-001.htm

The Rev.2 units fit better within the Newton case, and are $62.50 USD,
shipping in.

It is a great little hack, I don't know where I'd be without it. (Probably
crying, curled up in a little ball on the floor, clutching my Newton with a
broken interconnect port...) But many of these units being liquidated come
with a serial cable with the interconnect connector molded into the cable.

The only commercial overclocking solution is the Implant-2000 from
Pixsolution:
http://www.pixsolution.com/english.html

Yes, it is switchable, which is good because things like serial and some PC
cards won't work while it's overclocked. And unless you have your own SMD
solder station, you should ship it to Pixsolution (in Germany) and have them
install it. Seems to be $99 USD plus $60 USD for installation, plus shipping.

>should be considering? (Including how to replace the door-retainer clips,
>as it seems these die on most newts, almost certainly including the one I'll
>be purchasing).

There's some home-brew stuff floating around for this. I think one involved
melting plastic (!). Otherwise, I think most people just use Velcro once
the clips die. (Mine haven't yet!)

>Oh, and a couple of other things; I know that all of the Newton Manuals are
>available on UNNA (or wherever) but sometimes there's just no substitute for
>the genuine hardcopies themselves. If anyone has an extra or unneeded full
>set of the books/manuals that came with their MP2000 or MP2100, I'd gladly
>pay for shipping + whatever (to the USA, where I have a mailing address, if
>that's most convenient), to round up a set. My sets were taken in the
>burglary.

Someone just posted a message selling manuals about five minutes ago :)

>P.S. Also, anyone know where those AMUG Newton CD's are available from?

eBay. Or... eBay. I don't think AMUG sells them directly anymore.

>P.P.S. If anyone knows of any outlet that is selling those Newton
>'Briefcases', I'd be grateful if you'd let me know. I see Duroc has them
>available on ebay from time to time, but I purchased from them once, and
>paid for but never received the goods. Fool me once, etc...

There was apparently a UK company selling some really nice cases, but I've
lost the name and haven't bought one yet. They were *really* nice. (Don't
buy them all though, I need one!)

--
Victor Rehorst - chuma_at_chuma.org - victor_at_newtontalk.net
Newtontalk.net list dad

-------------------------------------------------------------------- mail2web - Check your email from the web at http://mail2web.com/ .