Re: [NTLK] OT Firewire connection

From: Joe Anthenat (janthenat_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 00:40:38 EDT

On Tuesday, May 28, 2002, at 03:07 PM, Humphreys, David (URB) wrote:

> All I am looking for is for some kind soul who knows all about
> this stuff to say:
>
> 1. Do this.
>
> 2. Then do this.
>
> 3. Then do this.
>
> etc. etc.
>
> and voila! you are networking @ 400Mbs
>
> Thanks Guys!
>
> PCBman (MAC version)

I'm not completely sure about all the specifics regarding the FireNet
configuration for OS X and Win XP, but I will say that you can, for
sure, connect the iMac to the PC via the "Target Disk Mode" routine.
You need a 6-pin to 6-pin firewire cable to connect the two. With the
XP machine already running and the firewire cable in place connecting
the two machines, startup the iMac while holding down the "T" key.
After a few seconds you'll see a blue-ish screen on the iMac with the
"FireWire" symbol bouncing around... Meanwhile, the XP machine will
recognize that a "firewire hard disk" has been attached and assign it a
drive letter (i think it will give it a letter... ) or at least it will
show up if you 'explore' my computer. The iMac will then act as an
external firewire HD. You will have complete 'root' level access to
everything on the iMac's drive, so be careful. Once finished, just
press the power button on the iMac and it will shut down completely.

I realize this doesn't help much for an active network setup, but at
least it's something.

I would imagine that the FireNet setup would simply require some level
of sharing set up on one or the other machine, and a way to find that
machine over the connection. (probably provided by the FireNet
software...)

Good luck! Let us know what the result is...

Joe Anthenat ><>