Re: [NTLK] handwriting recognition, Philly Discounters

From: James Grubic (jgrubic_at_bozeman.k12.mt.us)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 17:36:23 EST

> (1) HAND WRITING RECOGNITION
> I have been using a Palm IIIxe for about 2 years now and am fairly
> proficient in Grafitti. I am not impressed with the Newton's
> recognition thus far but recognize the problem may be mine. I have
> set it to recognize my hand writing and did a quick run through the
> settings where I can tell it which shapes I often make, which seldom
> and which never. What should I be doing to help the process along?
> Does the word practice train the Newton or just me?

I just got a Newton 2000 upped to a 2100, and being a Palm user for a
couple of years now, I have to admit that the Newt is light years ahead
in the handwriting recognition area. Right away it works great for me. I
think Graffiti on Palm is just about the worst thing ever invented.

Based on this, and the glorious Newton screen that you can actually
rotate so the perspective is wide instead of tall, I'd have to say that
the Newt was far ahead of its time.

On another note:

I got my Newton off eBay from Philly Discounters. The unit was defective
(incessant power-on loop) and I sent it back to get a replacement. It's
now a month after the auction and I finally have a working Newt. The
battery is defective however (as mentioned in auction), and this one has
a lot of wear and tear in addition to some adhesive marks.

* anyone know of a good way to remove those old adhesives from the case?
This was probably an inventory tag.

* anyone know of a cheap source for a AA battery cage?

I do have a compatible PCMCIA network card, and I am looking forward to
seeing if this unit can be used as a lightweight network
analyzer/tester. I thought I was screwed because I didn't have the
communication cable, but lo and behold there is a irDA port which I can
use to sync with my PowerBook G3.

Methinks I should start looking for an eMate...this is way too cool. :)

James

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html