Re: [NTLK] Simpletech PC Card Flash Storage-ATTN PAUL GUYOT-HELP!

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 17:50:38 EST

>Any ideas Paul?

Most cards actually work. There might be some issue with some slow
ones, though. But what most people complained about was the -10606
issue (also known as "hey, what did you do, it worked with beta 10
issue").

I've discovered thanks to Harri Hohteri, Jeremy Bond Shepherd and
Christian Nicoletti that this problem of cards showing a -10606 was
Newton-related, not card related, i.e. their card works in my Newtons
and doesn't show the bus error here (the -10606 is an epiphenomenon
of the bus error). In fact, they work in Harri's and Christian's
Newton after they brainwiped them (I haven't returned Jeremy's card
yet).

I suspect some kind of stupid timing or memory conflict.

The thing is that I've been silly entirely exploding the actual
structure of ATA support into pieces and slowly reassembling it. This
should have been done, but maybe not before 1.0.

Anyway, the consequence is that a bare minimum of code will be copied
in memory so it will work much better on the MP2000.
Let me explain that. The Newton uses virtual memory and this involves
asking the flash and ATA-based stores to get data from the internal
memory or the memory cards. If ATA's code is in virtual memory and
the system disposes it because it needs memory for other stuff and
the virtual memory mechanism asks the ATA store to get some pages
back, bad things will happen.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/