[NTLK] Post IRDA transfer, 2100 acting strange

From: Jeff Abbott (jabbott_at_ninewire.net)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 01:16:17 EST

Hi folks:

I tried to find an answer to this DIL question on the archive, without
success. Any guidance is appreciated as I am not a Newton sophisticate.

Got a MP2100 earlier this year but never got around to adding new packages
since I didn't have the right cables. Finally tried Newton DIL to connect to
my Pismo via IRDA and install some packages from a CD that came when I
bought my Newton on eBay. Wow, works beautifully, it's so cool. I install
the Newton Tour, NetHopper, and NewtonWorks. I then try to install NIE 2,
not realizing that I already have it installed on internal memory. Get a
message that NIE didn't install on the card because it was already in
internal. There's an NIE icon on the screen, with a giant X above the NIE
caption (the NIE that was already installed is still there.)

I tap on Dock to end the IRDA connection and that's when things got weird.
Basically, the screen on my Newton is not responding to taps--rather, it is
simply marking dots/lines (like I was in Notes or a drawing program). The
Dock slip basically blanked out and would not dismiss. Trying to close it or
to open another icon simply results in more scribbles on the screen. It's
not locked...if I move the stylus across the screen a new line results. But
that's it. Ejecting the card makes no difference.

I no longer have a Newton, I have an Etch-a-Sketch. Have I destroyed my
Newton, just as I get it set to accept new packages?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Abbott

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html