[NTLK] Newton Newbie and Users in Denmark

From: Damien Batstone (djb_at_er.dtu.dk)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 05:56:42 EST

Dear All,

I somewhat impulsively bought a used Newton 2100 on ebay for use as an
ebook reader. I go through many books, and the Newton looked perfect. I
bought it without battery tray, or serial adapter, and soon realised to my
horror that these two items generally go for about as much each as I paid
for the Newton. I can't pay anymore, and modifying the Newton will be a
nice project. I'm good with electronics, and custom polyethylene and
perspex items.

In the short term, I plan to use an external power pack, with 4 AA cells,
going into the power adapter port (with +VE to the inside). Is this OK?,
or can the batteries deliver too much current through this port. Pretty
soon, I'll make a fitted battery cage out of perspex.

For the serial port, I'll use the dongle killer
(http://newted.dyndns.org/users/mmailand/www/Npages/DK/DK.html), though I'm
not soldering on a CMOS chip. I'll use conductive
epoxy. Compatible ethernet cards also seem to be a good option. I hoped
to use IR through IRComm and DIL tester, but they didn't want to play.

I would appreciate any comments on the project, and if there are any Newton
users at DTU, Lyngby, Copenhagen, (or in greater Copenhagen), I would
appreciate if you could check my Newton for non-DOA using your battery
pack. I would also like to take some measurements, and maybe upload some
drivers to get ethernet going (and avoid the dongle killer mod).

Thanks,

Damien

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html