Re: [NTLK] [OT] Hacking an Audrey

From: William R. Dickson (wrd_at_awenet.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 09:42:01 EST

On Sunday, November 3, 2002, at 10:36 PM, Brian Pearce wrote:

>> Hmmm, don't even know what is an "Audrey"...
>
> It's...well, it *was* a Palm Computing device (though much larger than
> a Palm computer) that was intended to serve as sort of an (and be the
> first of a series of) "Information Appliance," with the organizational
> features of the Palm platform, e-mail, and whatnot for family use. If I
> recall correctly, Palm opted not to release the device more or less at
> the very last minute; a number of units were eventually liquidated and
> sold at a discount.

They actually sold them for a while -- the Audrey connected to a sort
of "channel" service supported by 3Com, which no longer exists. Palm
(or 3Com?) wound up offering refunds to anybody who bought one.

I picked one up on the cheap from tigerdirect.com. It's sitting on my
office floor. It works OK, but I never got around to hacking it to a
point where it'd be useful to me, for two reasons:

1) The optional brackets for hanging the thing on the wall were never
sold, so I didn't have a good place to put it. You can make a bracket,
but I'm lazy.

2) Without 802.11, I'd have to run an ethernet cable to a pretty
inconvenient location in my condo. Just wasn't worth it.

Perhaps when I live somewhere else, I'll set it up again. Meanwhile,
here's the best resource for hacking an Audrey:

      http://www.audreyhacking.com/

-Bill

--
  William R. Dickson -- Consuming the Earth's limited resources since
1968

The true contrast between science and myth is more nearly touched when we say that science alone is capable of verification.

- George Santayana