[NTLK] newton GIS and GPS options

From: Matthew Boulanger (matthewboulanger_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 22:33:56 EST

Does anyone out there use their Newt for GIS and GPS work?

I'm looking at the options available, and can't find much in the way of software except demo versions. The GPS Lite software is one option, but I'm looking for software that will log points from a connected receiver, plot them, and allow me to add information about said points. There used to be two apps that would have sufficed: FieldWorker and PocketGIS (and ArcPad as it was supposedly originally created on the Newt). All of these appear to be totally unavailable.

Hardware is another issue as well. There seems to be very little info out there on PC card GPS receivers for the newt. When I can find info, I'm unable to find that card for sale. I'm considering rigging up my own cable to connect my handheld gps to the Newt's serial port. Any advice/suggestions on hardware?

-mb

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html