[NTLK] GEM Enterprises - A Unique Perspective (and thoughts on eBay)

From: Brian Niles (niles_at_targetx.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 06:55:16 EST

There's been a lot of comments regarding GEM Enterprises and auctions
on eBay on this listserv lately and I thought I'd provide my unique
perspective on the matter. Just for some background, I am a business
owner and a long time Mac user (back to the very beginning) that
included a Newton 2000 (which I sold on eBay two years ago for $300).
I was looking to get back into a Newton after a long hiatus using a
Palm (ugh, how can anyone use those?). I posted last week a question
about whether I should get an upgraded 2000 or a 2100 - everyone who
responded was very nice.

EBAY AUCTIONS
I was looking to buy my Newton on eBay. I had some concerns. I am a
semi-regular buyer and seller on eBay - mostly upgrading my computer
stuff and audio equipment. So I know what to look for and what to stay
away from. I've never had any problems in the past with eBay
transactions. However, people need to be very concerned about who they
are buying from and what signs to look for to avoid scams and
problematic auctions. I think some of the comments talked about come
from people that either didn't heed the warning (let the buyer beware)
or are just trying to vent their own agenda. This really isn't the
place for this.

GEM ENTERPRISES
I've also been reading the comments about two companies selling on and
off of eBay - Philly Discounters and GEM Enterprises. Since I live in
South Jersey (across the river from Philly, for those on the left
coast), I tried to find Philly Discounters with no success. So I
decided to check out GEM Enterprises online - wouldn't you know it,
they are right down the street from me in Jersey! So I called over the
weekend and the owner, Gary, answered the phone (they don't normally
have weekend hours, so I was planning on leaving a message for a call
back the next week). He was very nice and we chatted briefly about the
rants on this listserv about them. I also told him that I was
concerned about buying a Newton on eBay from him or anyone else because
I wanted a Newton in good cosmetic condition and a battery that would
last. ... here's my unique perspective part ... so he recommended I
come over to his office during the week to see them for myself. So, I
did.

Last night I visited GEM Enterprises. They have a lot of "stuff" -
computers, printers, and of course Newtons. I'm a good judge of
character and frankly I think these folks are very nice and trusting.
I met Gary and Chris (and another fellow) and spent some time chatting
with them. They showed me their inventory of Newtons - asked me what I
wanted to get and put a package of these together for me to play with
and test. I was very happy with the set I put together and we
negotiated the price. Now, I'm sure I could get the same set of pieces
on eBay for probably less, however, I was willing to pay a little more
for being able to see it and test it myself. Plus on eBay I'd be
paying for shipping too so the price would probably equal out. I
bought it, brought it home, and love it (what did I do without my
Newton for the past two years???). Nice people, running an honest
business. That's what I took away last night from my time with GEM. I
highly recommend them. If you're not sure, then pick up the phone and
call Gary or Chris. Their number is on their web site.

As an avid OSX user, now I'm trying to figure out where things stand
with nSync and other OSX projects.

CONCLUSION
As I was lying in bed last night, I thought I really should write to
the list to describe my experience. Not to pitch GEM Enterprises, but
to recommend how a prospective Newton buyer should go through the
process. Be sure purchases on Newton are covered and you have a dialog
with the seller prior to bidding regarding things like what actually
comes with it, what the physical condition of the unit is, and things
like battery life, etc. Make sure they will assure you it won't be DOA
and that they have some experience in selling online. Try to get their
real name and address while exchanging emails. If they have a physical
store or office, call them and talk with them on the phone - if you're
not comfortable with the conversation, move on. There will be others.
If you've screwed up and made a purchase without checking on the seller
first, then suck it up and move on. Listservs aren't places to air
your mistakes.

And if you are fortunate enough to get the Newton you're looking for,
enjoy it and tell all of your unfortunate Palm users that you can
actually use your PDA for more than an expensive address book.

--
Brian Wm. Niles
CEO, TargetX

10 Canal Street, Suite 205 Bristol, Pennsylvania 19007

215-781-8796 877-715-7474 x102