Re: [NTLK] I'm killing my dongle

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 11:28:37 EST

Hi Damien,

of course I know Marcos solution very well, because he used to be a collegue
of mine and is still a friend of mine.
This solution does its job, the Mini-DIN is even a bit more rigid with
respect to the Newt case.

BUT

1) you need to have a very quiet hand and some experience in SMD soldering
2) you run the risk of damaging your Newt
3) SER-001 can be inserted/removed without any soldering
4) SER-001 offers an additional protection to your Newt with respect to the
serial interface: if you do something wrong with your serial interface the
SER-001 line driver will blow instead of the one in your Newt

I love soldering hardware and I do have some experience in soldering SMD,
but I went for the SER-001 and I am finally happy with it and I still
believe that this piece of hardware is more than worth the money.
Think about it.

Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html