[NTLK] mobo swap

From: Doug Parker (dougparker_at_progressdata.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 13:04:24 EST

I took the plunge last night, cracked the 2100 cases, and did a swap.

Newt A had a terminal case of jaggies and a solid serial connector. Newt B
had a near-perfect screen but no serial connector. Phoenix, my new Newt, has
a gorgeous screen and serial comm. Happy, happy, joy, joy! Happy, happy,
joy!

I read everyone's replies and suggestions on the SER-001. For simplicity,
I'd do it. For lack of budget, I'm stuck. However, it sounded like the SER
was too big for its britches--wasn't there a slight bow in the case when
it's reassembled? I'm a stickler about the OEM look--I try to maintain it
whenever possible. I'll crack the case one more time when I get parts for
the dongle killer.

Note to anyone disassembling their Newt:

   Make plenty of diagrams. Document *every* *tiny* *step*.
   Make a numbered list of steps you do. Document *every*... ;-)
   Follow the list in reverse order to reassemble.
   Be patient. I walked away when I felt edgy or irritated.

I was lucky enough to have zero parts left over when I was done. Fphew! That
one little, loose clip (the one that makes a horizontal protrusion through
the 2100 case near the hole where the cover's top pin slips into the case)
gave me fits, but I tracked down its home and it's now performing quietly
without objection.

The only oddity that came up is my To Dos were pushed ahead 2 years and 8
months. 2Y 8M? Explain that one... :-\ Knowing this list, somebody probably
can!

OT: Please reply off-list: doug_at_ispinn.com. I'm looking for some novel but G
rated answers to the following question: What 1 word best describes the word
"esoterica" to you? (esoteric, 1 a : designed for or understood by the
specially initiated alone <a body of esoteric legal doctrine> b : of or
relating to knowledge that is restricted to a small group 2 a : limited to a
small circle <esoteric pursuits> b : PRIVATE, CONFIDENTIAL <an esoteric
purpose>)

Doug Parker

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html