Re: [NTLK] Curious

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 23:42:28 EST

on 06/11/02 23:32, Russell Martin at abecedarian_at_mac.com wrote:

> I hate to admit it, but I'm back to using my Palm Vx and I've all but
> shelved my 2100. The biggest reason is that I'm completely PDA
> dependent, I can't stand to not have it with me, and the Palm's size is
> better. The 2nd biggest reason is that the screen on the Newton sucks
> compared to the Palm's. I really wish there were some way to have the
> Newton OS on a Palm sized/screened device.
>
> Anyway, when I did try and take my Newton everywhere with me, I carried
> it in a satchel with a shoulder strap. It always got in the way, and I
> hate to admit it, but I felt self conscious with it on all the time.
>
> So now that I've given up on carrying the Newton, I was wondering how
> many of you carry the Newton with you practically everywhere, and if
> so, what do you carry it in? Also, for those of you who don't carry it
> everywhere, where do you take it and what do you transport it in?

That's the first time in 8 years that I read someone complaining about the
size of the screen of a Newton being too large!!! People will complain with
the overall size, but I've never read anybody saying that the Newton screen
is too large!

Anyway, to each his own, I guess. I always carry my 2100 in a small case,
just for the Newton. I have one case that is basically just some kind of a
leather skin for the Newton with a rigid flap that can be folded on the back
when using the Newton. There are openings to activate the on-off switch, the
interconnect port, the speaker and the microphone. The other small case I
have is the Calise one with a section on the front to put a cell phone in.
There are also smaller dividers inside to put one or two PCMCIA cards,
business cards and a pen.

That's all what I need and my Newton is always with me.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

Blue Screen of Death n.: [common] This term is closely related to the older Black Screen of Death but much more common (many non-hackers have picked it up). Due to the extreme fragility and bugginess of Microsoft Windows, misbehaving applications can readily crash the OS (and the OS sometimes crashes itself spontaneously). The Blue Screen of Death, sometimes decorated with hex error codes, is what you get when this happens. (Commonly abbreviated BSOD.)