Re: [NTLK] Which program would you recommend?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 13:05:07 EST

On 07/11/02 12:49, "Joseph Solin" <jsolin_at_interserv.com> wrote:

> With so many different programs to choose from for a Newton 2100, I
> really need some advice on which is the best in the class for each of
> the following functions:
>
> 1) Word processor

You're only choice here is NewtonWorks. The best thing is that it's free.
You can grab a copy from my website <http://nemesys.dyndns.org/>, in the
Newton software section.

> 2) Spreadsheet

Again, not much choice here. You have the spreadsheet module for NewtonWorks
that is free, QFWorks, but you can also buy the professional, standalone
version of QuickFigure, from the same company. For my basic needs, QFWorks
is fine.

> 3) Internet Browser

This is currently a weak side on the Newton. Most browsers for the Newton
haven't kept it up with the Internet. NetHopper is the easiest to use, but
doesn't support a lot of Internet standards that you will find these days.
The nice thing about it is that it's free. Check on UNNA. There is also
NewtsCape which, until recently, was still supported by Steve Weyer. Much
more harder to use but much more capable than NetHopper. It costs now $20,
which isn't that much. Finally, there is the LunaSuite set of packages for
the Internet. Probably the best web browser for the Newton. Certainly the
most buggy too. Luna Software was never able to fix those bugs so if you can
live with your Newton resetting every couple of hours, and have a lot of
storage space, than it might be for you.

> 4) Database
For basic needs, I use Notion 2.0. Costs money. John Anderson has recently
started offering FilePad (?), which is free. There is also Leverage. You
will also find a database module for NewtonWorks on my web site. I haven't
tried this one but it's also free.

-Laurent.