[NTLK] ser-001, overclock, and audio port (all together)?

From: Jon Kinney (madsk8er_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 16:01:04 EST

I just got a Newton 2000u ($35 off eBay w/slight scratch on
screen...consequently I took the plunge and bought an original pristine 21OO
from JK sales. I'm going to attempt to modify the 2000u and if successful
may try to implement them on my new one)! I am really excited about what the
newt can do! I've stayed up till 2am (I usually started at 12pm) for the
past week finding software, looking at sites, and in particular besides the
30+ awesome packages I've installed I want to do something more...hack! Or
modify if you will, my Newton. I know all 3 of these things can be done
separately but I want to try to combine them.

The ser-001 card installed pictured here:
<http://newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed/xtal2/img0012.htm>

and the accelerator crystal are installed simultaneously, and all I want to
know is if adding the audio port pictured below will also fit (all 3 things
together!)

 <http://www.johnskinner.net/newtonhack/>

And what is that bulge that John Skinner is talking about...is there a way
around it? I have yet to actually open up my newt but I have a lot of
experience soldering and fixing motherboards. The thing I need to know is if
the serial card thing will get in the way of the audio port. And if so why
does the audio port have to be installed there? Could I run wires to a
different location and put the audio port somewhere else? ANY insight would
be greatly appreciated...well off to Radio Shack for the crystal...!

ALSO! If anyone knows where I can get a hold of a switch off of a SRAM card
(I'd have to de-solder/detach it) OR another really small one like it. I
would really appreciate a link!

Jon

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html