Re: [NTLK] OT : Apple Airport

From: Stephanie Maks (newton_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 16:59:32 EST

The page is cached at Google:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:WLdI5ylJpscC:www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Repa
ir.html+apple+airport+base+repairs&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

The gist of it is though that there are a pair of electrolytic capacitors
next to the voltage regulator. These two were of inferior quality and/or
incorrect ratings for the job, and that caused them to fail. You can tell
that they've failed usually because the flat aluminum top on them is usually
bulged out a tad.

These two should be desoldered from the board and replaced. You can replace
them with identical parts, or parts rated for a higher temperature, or parts
rated for higher voltage and higher capacitance. The one on the input side
doesn't need to be so high in capacitance, and the one on the output side
doesn't need to be as high of voltage.

I haven't had need to open my ABS up in some time, but if you need it, I can
crack it open and find out the ratings of the components that I used, and
the exact locations of them.

-Stephanie

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html