Re: [NTLK] Generic AC adapter

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 04:17:37 EST

You can really believe me,
and I am talking here as an electrical engineer:

If you are going to use such a cheapo adaptor with your Newt

1) you still might be lucky enough not to kill your Newt

2) in most cases you will have a big mismatch between the source impedance
of the power adaptor and the Newt resulting in very slow charging or no
charging at all (if the adaptor is not powerful enough - in your case)

The Newt is designed to work perfectly with the original power adaptor and
the battery charging is exactly matched to the output behaviour of this
adaptor:
you have constant voltage up to approx. 1 A and then the current limitation
comes into play.
In other words: if you use an adaptor with output parameters different from
the original adaptor there are exactly two possibilities:
1) you toast and kill your Newt
2) you can charge the batteries only very very slowly or not at all

Thats why I had the idea to design an adaptor which matches perfectly to the
Newt and allows you to use any dc source from 8 to 40 Volts 1 A minimum.
This can be done using only one regulator chip and a few external parts.
I am currently in the phase of testing it.

Regards
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html