Re: [NTLK] Sync via TCP/IP?

From: Jon Kinney (madsk8er_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 14:28:00 EST

I have purchased not one but 2 PCMCIA Ethernet x-jack cards off of eBay
(factory sealed) and they work beautifully with my 2100 and 2000u(web
server) The particular model I got was 3Com Megahertz 3CXE589DT, and the
drivers are the Farallon PN895 driver:

 <http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/>

and the 2nd driver listed "Patch for Farallon driver to support the 3Com
3c589, 3c589B, 3c589C, and 3c589D only"

Regardless of what that says...it works with the specified card (3CXE589DT).
When installed it will appear as "z3ComDrv:clli" This is not the driver that
should work for this model number according to chuma.org...but they must
have it wrong because if you download the "proper" driver from them it
appears in extensions as 3c589 and does not work with the 3CXE589DT. You can
tell if a 3com card has the proper drivers installed by the slip you get
when you insert it. If the wrong drivers are installed you get something
like "sorry your card was not compatible" But if you have the proper drivers
installed then NO SLIP APPEARS...this is normal for the 3Com series of
cards/drivers. There are other drivers you need installed as well for
Ethernet (EtherTalk) to work properly...check out unna.org for the NIE 2.O
drivers and INSTALL THE REQUIRED ONES FIRST! THEN THE ETHERNET ENABLER ONES
THEN YOUR SPECIFIC ETHERNET CARD DRIVERS (the 2 listed above).

By the way the seller I got the card's from was the same in both cases so
they probably have more...here's a link to the page that I won the item
on...you can get seller info and model number info from this!

 <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2066252517&rd=1>

I hope with this info everyone will go out and get themselves a cool x-jack
card and get their newt's online! Or just sync with NCU in classic mode of
OS X.2 with AppleTalk enabled in the network prefs area. It's what I do to
do backups and install packages/import/export! It works great!

Have a wonderful day,

Jon Kinney

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html