[NTLK] 130 Turns Off

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 18:46:03 EST

>I have a 130 in good working order except I seem to be having a
>problem with it turning off right after I switch it on. It seems I
>have to hold the switch down for a couple of seconds to make sure it
>will stay on. If I hold it long enough, it stays on.
>I'm guessing there is some dirt or other problem related to the
>switch itself but I thought I should check in for ideas before I try
>anything radical.

If I were you, I wouldn't try anything, it is a waste of time. What you
describe is by far the most common defect 130's develop. Light cases
are supposed to be curable using FixTrax (to be found at www.unna.org, where
else...), but personally I haven't even once been successful using that
package.
The problem will get worse over time, and some day the Newton will not
stay on at all or won't even turn on.
In my experience it is much fun throwing 130's against a wall once one's
frustration reaches a certain level, why not give it a try?
Or, you could send it (the Newton, not the frustration) my way, and I could
put a 120 mainboard into it. You'd lose the backlight, but you'd win a
reliable Newton.

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html