Re: [NTLK] How to Make a Newton Package

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 01:09:51 EST

This is critical. If you're going to scan the document
and OCR it yourself, you need to set your scanner to
Greyscale and the highest ACTUAL resolution that the
scanner can handle. (most scanners say that their
resolution is 9600dpi, when it's actually a 600DPI
interpolated to 9600...)
You need tons of RAM. (I don't know about Macs, but my
256MB machine chokes on more than 100 pages) RAM is
cheap and there's no real reason not to have 512MB of
RAM (unless you're limited by the number of RAM slots)

Once you get the book in a text format, you will want
to run it through a spell checker for weird problems
(usually words like "turn" where there's an "r" and an
"n" next to each others get OCR'ed to read "tum".
I've been OCR'ing for several years and found that
life without an ADF for the scanner is just not an
option. Once your text is in a readable format, just
drag the text document ontop of any of the book making
applications. I use paperback and Newton Press. I like
the TOC feature of Newton Press, but I love that one
version of paperback will fit all Newtons
automatically (press, you have to create different
books for all support Newtons.) Plus, Press will save
your last read page. Paperback, if you reset your
Newt, will default back to the beginning of the
document. Frustrating if you're reading a long book.
You can check out some of the books I've ocr'ed on my
page for examples. newton.tek-ed.com
Scroll down and click on the "books" link. Or, use
this:
http://newton.tek-ed.com/index.cfm?type=2
Also check out my LOTR books at:
http://newton.tek-ed.com/lotr/
And heck...if this is a Sci Fi book Heinlein, Asimov
or Niven, let me know...I've almost OCR'ed my entire
collection!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Samuel Jacobson <jacobson98_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello All, I would like to put a book of mine
> onto my Newton (for my own
> personal use) and, accordingly, I have a scanner and
> OCR software to scan
> thetext and graphics into my computer. However I am
> not sure how to then
> takethe several hundred pages of text and make then
> into one coherent Newton
> package that can then be downloaded onto my uMP
> 2000. As such any help
> that could be offered would be most appreciated.
> Also, if this topic has
> beencovered before please forgive me (and I would
> greatly appreciate a link
> to the FAQ or information). Thank you all. Sam
> J.

=====
Why is that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life
in the universe are pointed away from Earth?
     --Anonymous