Re: [NTLK] [OT] Proof Jobs is an idiot

From: KC Bug (kcsbug_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 08:18:40 EST

> Since the launch of the Newt in 1993, nothing of any
> importance has come out
> of that company other than Firewire and both of
> these were pre-Jobs
> technologies.

802.11 was supported first by Apple, and co-developed
by then with Lucent. I do see a *lot* of 802 networks
now, I'd say that was important, and that was
obviously post-Jobs. Also, I'd think Jobs did some
good in pushing USB into being a big player in the
market by making the new machines only use it. IMHO,
the DVD-R drive was also a big step. I personally like
Apple's new approach - it's consumer, low-end
oriented.. which as much as I hate to admit it, is
what I am. Buy an iBook for $999, use it for digital
photos, video, etc. I'd also disagree with your
statements on OS X, I like it much more than I ever
did 9, I only wanted the code to be complied to run on
the G3 faster. Apple wants to forget it's past and
start over, which as I recall with the TAM TV Ad
(which came out BEFORE Jobs came back), Apple is all
about "forgetting the past and finding new ways" -
which seems to be what Jobs has done, IMHO.

I love my Newton, however even I will admit that I
will move to more efficient platforms as they become
available. And if Apple DID make a PDA, it'd be Palm
OS based... Apple won't pioneer a new OS for a PDA
again, but they could "pull a Dell" and make a nice
Palm OS RISC-based PDA to compete with the Windows CE
PDAs, but I think it's getting out of hand.

I think that Apple is doing more good by forgetting 9,
and it's past and enbracing newer technologies and new
companies.. when was the last time you saw something
from D-LINK with a Mac sticker on it? The USB
Bluetooth adapter is from D-LINK and Mac Only. I think
that the new direction Apple is taking is a good one,
even with charging for .Mac, I can't complain at $1 a
MB for web space, the email is a perk.

Or maby I'm just under RDF...

KC