Re: [NTLK] Proof Jobs isn't an idiot (was: Proof Jobs is an idiot)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 23:59:09 EST

on 10/11/02 23:46, John Anderson at dearjohn_at_everchanging.com wrote:

> Sometimes when you've become experienced with something and/or
> entangled in a UI you stop realizing how convoluted it is. This could
> be the case of Wintel techies... they're so used to it that they don't
> see a problem, and therefore just dismiss people who say "it's hard to
> download photos to my computer" as idiots.
>
> Not exusing it, just offering a possible reason for their derision.
>
> John Anderson
> everchanging
>

>> Exactly. In the case of IT pros as far as they are concerned simpler is
>> not better. It is almost like a conspiracy.

Well, when you think just a little bit about it, it makes sense. Why are
those people called "pros"? That's because they can do things overly and
unnecessary complicated and they're paid big bucks to do it. They certainly
don't want to see that power in the end of the end user. If the end user is
stupid enough to believe it, then more power to them (the so-called 'pros')!

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

benchmark n.: [techspeak] An inaccurate measure of computer performance. "In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and benchmarks." Well-known ones include Whetstone, Dhrystone, Rhealstone (see h), the Gabriel LISP benchmarks (see gabriel), the SPECmark suite, and LINPACK. See also machoflops, MIPS, smoke and mirrors.