Re: [NTLK] HWR problem : Newt hangs !!

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 13:42:39 EST

Do you have alt.rec installed on your Newt? There is a
known problem with cursive and this enhancement app.
Check your extensions for alt.rec and if it's there,
freeze it and try again.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Felix <felix_at_freire.be> wrote:

> Hello List !
>
> I suffer an annoying problem (bug ?) with the
> Dates/Names application :
>
> When I write a word (Cursive mode) that Newton has
> problems recognizing (or
> doesn't recognize at all), the (blinking) star comes
> on the screen and the
> newt just hangs !
> My only option is to reset the newt (sometimes it
> will just reset itself)
> and restart my input with the keyboard.
>
> In the newton manual (p30) it is written :
> "If you select cursive as your handwriting style,
> words you write that are
> not in the MessagePad's dictionary are placed in the
> Recently Written Words
> lists.When there are many words in the list, a
> blinking star may appear at
> the top of the screen each time you write another
> word that's not in the
> dictionary."
>
> Checking the RWW lists, doesn't appear to be this
> full 3 to 5 words max.
> This also happens with printing mode.
>
> Could this be caused by some recently installed
> package :
> - ATA but that's the most unlikely
> - Dashboard
> - Avi's backdrop
> - Alt rec
> - Corrector+
>
> Basically, I find my newt to be very slow (Internal
> Free memory is 846K and
> I am using a 16Mb CF).
>
> Should I go through a hard reset and perform a
> 'clean install' ?
> Thanks,
> Felix

=====
Why is that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life
in the universe are pointed away from Earth?
     --Anonymous