[NTLK] Want to speed up your newton?

From: Jon Kinney (madsk8er_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 13:56:21 EST

Hello everyone wanting to speed up their Newton! I was the one that started
this thread (5 MHz crystal and SRAM Card) and I hope I can end it now! I
found a great site online mouser.com (thanks ed) and they have everything
you need. I'll list the part numbers:

Alcoswitch SPDT ON-OFF-ON part# 506-SE1EGPC $5.52

(if you download the catalog .pdf [page 583 only] by clicking the link
below, this switch is figure K).
<http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=fra_pdfset&dir=612&pdffile=583>

5.0 MHZ 20pF crystal part# 520-HCA500-20 $0.40

(this is the crystal that will make your newt FLY! Unfortunately it will
also make your newt incompatible with other newts for beaming data, etc.
That's why you need the switch!)

3.6864 MHZ 18pH crystal part# 520-HCA368-18 $0.40

(these are not needed you can reuse the original crystal by soldering leads
to it, I just wanted to try them for a cleaner install).

There they are! The first one is the slide switch and has dimensions as
follows: 5mm wide, 9.5mm long, and 8mm depth (not including the button).
This should fit between the interconnect port and the casing...I measured
it. You'll have to cut a hole of course. The 2 best sites for pictures of
how to do this mod are here:

<http://newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed/>

And

<http://www.felesmagus.com/newton/2100fast.html>

As you can see this is a very inexpensive modification and the best part is
that mouser.com allows you to order as few as 1 of each thing if you want!
Shipping for UPS ground is only like 4 bucks too! And unlike digi-key they
do not charge a handling fee. Plus they have a huge stock! Have fun...I know
I will!

Jon

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html